While there are numerous haircare routines that will give your hair the much-coveted shine and length, is your scalp getting enough attention? A healthy scalp lays the foundation for strong, beautiful hair. So, unless your scalp is completely healthy, there won’t be an end to your hair woes. One of the most common conditions that gets in your way of getting your dream hair is hair dandruff. While dandruff in itself is quite bothersome, it causes a host of other symptoms, such as flaking, itching, scalp inflammation, and red patches on scalp. A common question that bothers most people is whether the hair loss they experience is due to dandruff. Let’s find out.
Does dandruff really cause hair loss?
· One of the major reasons for dandruff is the presence of the fungus Malassezia Globosa on the scalp. This microbe lives on the scalp and feeds on the sebum produced by the scalp, and releases a by-product known as oleic acid.
· More than 50 per cent of the population is allergic to this substance. As a reaction to this allergy, the body speeds up the process of discarding skin cells on the scalp to shed the irritant. These flakes are called dandruff. While dandruff causes itching and flaking, it doesn’t directly cause hair loss.
· What dandruff does cause is an itching sensation that’s so strong that you eventually give in to it. This constant scratching of scalp can damage the hair follicles and your scalp. This repeated action can cause scarring and can slow or stop hair growth.
· Other medical conditions that can cause dandruff or flaky skin, such as ringworm, eczema, scalp psoriasis, and seborrhoeic dermatitis, are associated with hair loss.
Since you know that dandruff doesn’t exactly cause hair loss, but the scratching that ensues is what triggers the condition. So, let’s look at dandruff home remedies that can control dandruff and prevent hair loss in this process.
Home remedies for treating dandruff
Neem is a potent traditional medicine that can be used to treat dandruff. It possesses antibacterial and antifungal properties that can give you immediate relief from the itchiness and redness of scalp that accompanies dandruff. Take a few neem leaves and boil it. Strain the concoction and wash your scalp and hair with neem water.
Curd contains cooling properties and is anti-inflammatory in nature and proves effective in soothing your irritated scalp. It takes care of your scalp itchiness and reduces the urge to scratch your scalp. Apply curd to your scalp and hair and leave it on for 30 minutes. Wash it off completely with your shampoo and experience immediate relief from scalp irritation.
· Aloe vera gel
Aloe vera gel has been used in home remedies for skin conditions and even found its way into the cosmetic realm. The itchiness you experience due to dandruff can be easily treated with the soothing aloe vera gel. Its antibacterial and antifungal properties are effective against the microbe present on the scalp and keep it under control.
· An anti-dandruff shampoo and conditioner
The best way to deal with dandruff is to use an anti-dandruff shampoo. You can try Head & Shoulders anti-dandruff shampoos and conditioners, which are formulated using zinc pyrithione, a powerful dandruff-fighting ingredient.
Hair loss that occurs due to relentlessly scratching your scalp can be avoided if you try these home remedies to treat dandruff before it can cause any serious damage.