Many people who are new to strength training or exercise believe that it is only for more experienced athletes. It is not true. Strength training is a must-have in any workout program. There are many benefits for your mental, physical, and health. Here are the reasons and ways you should incorporate this vital component into your training program.
Weight training: The benefits
There are many reasons why strength training should be part of your program.
- Strength training not only increases your physical work capability but also improves your ability for daily activities (ADL). The right weight training exercises will help you work harder and for longer.
- It improves bone density. Strength training is a great way to control your bone loss.
- It promotes fat-free body mass and decreases sarcopenia. As we age, our lean muscle mass decreases. It will become fat if we don’t include strength training in our workouts.
- It Strengthens connective tissue, muscles, and tendons. This improves motor performance and reduces injury risk.
- You will enjoy a better quality of life and increase your body confidence Strength training can not only help you become stronger, but it will also help you manage your weight.
How to get started.
A personal trainer or specialist in weight training is a great way to start. They will show you how to properly form your body, give you the basics and help you set up a weekly training program. These professionals can help you overload your body to increase strength and endurance.
- How to set up a program.
- Begin slowly. This will reduce your chances of getting injured and sore.
- Begin with one set and then work your way up to more sets.
- Be sure to choose the right weight. Too much weight can increase your risk of injury and cause your body to suffer. In the reverse direction, if you don’t use enough weight, your muscles won’t be challenged and you won’t enjoy the weight training benefits. How can you tell if you’re lifting the right amount? You shouldn’t find it difficult to do the last few repetitions without losing your form.
- Allow your muscles to rest and recover. It is best to wait at least 48 hours before starting again with the same muscle group.
- You will burn more calories every day. Maintaining muscle mass is more difficult than maintaining fat. Strength training can increase your metabolism, which will help you burn more calories every day.
- It doesn’t have to be boring. To increase strength and decrease boredom, it is a good idea to change up your routine. You can change up your routine with the machines, bars, bands, and even your body weight.
Change your routine as often as you can. This can be done by changing the number of sets and reps, the time between sets, or choosing different exercises.
It is crucial to know the basics of strength training, and why this activity should be part of your training plan. You will be able to see the many benefits of these exercises and want to get started immediately.
This post was written by Darryl Johnson, Co-Owner of Apex performance. At Apex performance we are a community of highly trained experts looking to provide performance enhancement and a permanent lifestyle change for our clients in a fun and interactive environment. Members can take advantage of one of the best gym in Tampa, small group classes, and specialized courses for a wide variety of athletics, sports training, and body goals!