Education is a vital role in physiotherapy. Singapore physio therapists spend much time enlightening patients, their families, and the society to avoid injuries and to aid individuals lead healthy and balanced daily lives. A physiotherapist might likewise prepare and carry out community fitness programs. Ultimately, physiotherapists can additionally issue sick leave certificates should it be regarded needed to do so.
Using RICE to initially treat your sprained ankle
In a lot of cases you can first use the RICE method to handle your ankle:
- You may need to make use of walking aids till you can walk with no pain.
- For a minimum of the initial 24 to 72 hours or until the swelling goes down, use an ice pack for 10 to 20 minutes every hour or two during the day. Always keep a thin fabric in between the ice and your skin, and push the ice pack securely against all the contours of the damaged location.
- A flexible compression wrap, such as an ACE bandage, will help in reducing swelling. You use it for the very first 24 to 36 hours. Compression wraps do not offer defense. So you likewise need a brace to safeguard your ankle if you try to put weight on it.
- Raise your ankle overhead the level of your heart for 2 to 3 hrs a day when possible. This assists to reduce bruising and swelling.
If you are not taking any prescribed pain relievers, you may like to take an over-the-counter painkiller such as ibuprofen or naproxen to reduce discomfort and swelling.
Building back strength
Physiotherapists focus on both prevention and recovery. Therapy can be for troubles caused by injury, ailment or impairment.
Following an ankle sprain, you should begin strengthening exercises once you can bear weight comfortably and your range of activity is near full. There are a number of sorts of strengthening exercises. It is simplest to start with isometric exercises that you do by pressing versus a stationary item with your ankle.
Exercise # 1
- Position your ankle in the “down and in” position against a fixed item such as a couch
- Hold this position for a count of 10
Workout # 2
- Position your ankle in the “up and out” posture against the same item
- Hold this posture for a count of 10
Workout # 3
- Tie the bands around an item to the external side of your ankle
- Begin with the foot unwinded and afterwards move your ankle down and in
- Go back to the rested position and repeat 10 times
Exercise # 4
- Tie the ends of the bands about an object to the inside of your ankle and hold your foot rested
- Bring your foot up and out and after that back to the resting position